Microscope Cleaning, Maintenance and Adjustment (1301)
COURSE OUTLINE & SYLLABUS
Course schedule: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., both days
Students will be introduced to how the microscope works, various schools of thought on lens cleaning, how to adjust for proper illumination (Köhler Illumination) and tricks of the trade. Students will also learn what items can readily be found in local stores and online to create their own cleaning and maintenance kit. The students will gain a working knowledge of how to clean and adjust the microscope. Lectures will be followed by demonstrations of the cleaning and maintenance techniques.
There is no prerequisite for this course.
• Introduction and course overview
• Microscope parts, guts and bolts
• Cleaning optics
• Microscope set-up and Köhler illumination
• Image quality and lens aberrations
• Troubleshooting to localize dirt
• Hands-on cleaning and maintenance
• Dovetail slides, racks and pinions
• Advanced considerations